Saturday, January 24, 2015

Top lunch treat that is still healthy!

I don't know about you, but we can battle the lunches sometimes. My girl would prefer me to give her a bag filled with candy and/or fatty unhealthy lunches. I would love for her to leave the house everyday with a jam packed healthy lunch bag....

I get it though, lunch should be appetizing and fun for her. I should be able to compete with the other kids' lunches. So lately I've been experimenting with healthy lunches that are also delicious and fun for her! Today she wanted pancakes for dinner (I know, but please keep in mind; we are Dutch!) and I saw an opportunity.

I made some pancake mix and instead of using white flour, I used whole wheat flour. And she loved them! So I baked a whole bunch of pancakes and cut them with a cookie cutter. The flower shape I use looks good for her, but also makes sure the cut items fit in her thermos! win-win!

I packaged the flower pancakes per 5 (that seemed sufficient for her) in some aluminum foil. That way I can freeze them and the morning I need them I just take 1 package and heat it in the oven (no microwave here). I put the warm pancakes in a pre-heated thermos and she says the food stays perfectly warm until lunch.


You can obviously use any recipe you can find, I used these measurements:
500 ml Milk
250 grams Whole wheat flour
2 eggs
a little salt

What do you give your little ones to school? I would love to hear what you came up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment